Monday, March 29, 2010

Ready to eat like a monk?

I was inspired by the whole Julie/Julia thing to also do a cook-a-long blog, however was not inspired by the amount of weight I would gain trying to copy and do Julia Child's cookbook. So, I held a vote on twitter of my healthier cookbook options and the winner was: From a Monastery Kitchen: The Classic Natural Foods Cookbook, by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette. Phew. Awesomely enough, while preparing for this, I realized I have actually visited the monastery in question that this book hails from.
So here are the rules:
The book is divided into the four seasons, with roughly 30 recipes per season. Yeah it's not much of a challenge, at first. I need to complete each season worth of recipes within it's given season, starting with spring. I may not begin the next season before the current season ends. The challenge- the ingredients are seasonal to upstate NY. I've already come up with an issue finding ingredients at my local grocery, while preparing for this weeks menu. Challenge #2- most of these recipes are either vegetarian or include fish. Husband doesn't eat fish, so I will provide chicken for him where appropriate.
I'm starting tonight with the soups/appetizers/sides section. Keep an eye out for the first food post: Asparagus Stuffed Eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment