Saturday, April 3, 2010

Scalloped Parsnips

"For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease."
~Job 14:7

OMFG This was AWESOME. I was initially thrown off by this recipe as it called for tomato sauce, and I generally consider scalloped items to have more of a white sauce.
I've had a few people tell me they have never seen a parsnip. This is a parsnip:
It's kinda like a carrot and a turnip got freaky and had babies. I love them.
I have been delighted by how simple these recipes are so far, and quick to put together. And really, easy thus far to adapt to family allergies. Here is the cheeseless batch:
And with cheese, about to go in the oven. I know I may have slightly bashed Julia Childs' over use of butter earlier on, but to me it's just not a bread crumb topping without some kind of butter added. So I added Earth Balance dairy free "butter" to the dairy free one, and Horizon Organic butter to this batch:
And done, in all it's browned, bubbly, cheesy, gloriferous goodness:
This is a vegetarian dish, but I had a ton of hamburger turning brown in the fridge, and I rightly assumed this would be a fantastic side dish to a meatloaf. However, I think with the addition of more cheese, perhaps layered in, or a ricotta layer, this dish would easily stand on its own. It is listed in the "Main Dish" section of the Spring season. This would be great as a potluck casserole, or perhaps something to bring to a new mom, and I bet it would freeze well.

Verdict:
Awesome. Hubby tried it and added an extra scoop to his lunch box for work. The kids thought it tasted like pizza and asked me to make it again tomorrow. It was easy, and again inexpensive to make. The taste is sweet, starchy, filling, tangy, with the cheesy stretch every good casserole should have. Even if you don't like parsnips, try this! The tomato sauce really brings out the sweetness in the root. If I had to make it again I would peel the parsnips before slicing. This would be a fantastic alternative to lasagna for the vegetarian or gluten free diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment